Thursday, November 20, 2008

Behind the scenes with Megan Gogerty

Riverside - We received this today. I can't imagine a better glimpse into what Riverside's latest show is all about...

Hi, I’m Megan Gogerty. I’d like to take you behind the scenes of my new solo show, Megan Gogerty Loves You Very Much, opening Friday at the Riverside Theatre.

So. Here we are. Behind the scenes. The scenes are in front of us and we, as they say, are behind them.

[Whistles.]

You probably want to know a lot of the inside dirt, huh? Some dish? Gossip? Well, let me tell you: I know where all the bodies are buried in this particular production!

[Wracks brain.]

Ooh, here’s a good one. The lead actress? A real handful. She thinks it’s all about her. Also, the director keeps telling her to put on more make-up. She’s not sure what to make of this. Isn’t one of the benefits of living in Iowa that nobody minds if you’re pale and pasty looking in November?

Of course, I’m pale and pasty looking in July, but that’s another issue.

What else? [Thinks some more.] The writer keeps making changes to the text, which the actress promptly ignores.

It’s rather schizophrenic, doing a solo show. Luckily, the director is also an accomplished actor and has written and performed quite a few solo shows himself, so he takes all the talking-to-myself stuff in stride.

Here’s a fun game: When you come to the show, keep your eyes open for the red bird in Act Two. There is no red bird in Act Two, so if you see one, that means there’s something really wrong with you. And isn’t it better to discover that sort of thing when you’re among friends, enjoying yourself at the theatre?

I hope you like the show. My mother loves it. She hasn’t seen it yet, but she assures me it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. So I got that going for me. Which is nice.


The show opens tomorrow and runs through November 30. To get tickets, go here.

No comments: