Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Backstage with Wonderful Town

ICCT - Few shows have traveled such an interesting path to the stage as ICCT's production of Wonderful Town. The show was set to be canceled because of a lack of funding until director Ben Bentler and others stepped forward and raised the money needed. Because of that private funding, this show will be mostly a fundraiser for the beleaguered theatre. As we do sometimes, we decided to head backstage and talk to some of the artists who are working on this show.

Wonderful Town tells the story of Ruth and Eileen, two Midwestern sisters, who are thrown into the wild heart of Greenwich Village in New York City in the 1930s. Lauren Baker plays Ruth and Angelique Van Dorpe portrays Eileen.

Lauren, tell me about Ruth. Is it easy or difficult to slip into her skin?

Lauren: At this point in the rehearsal process, Ruth and I are pretty much the same person. I've been told by my friends and family that I still use her voice for hours after rehearsal. I just can't get out of it! But it did take a while to get to this point. For me, the important access point to Ruth was through her voice. She has a very specific way of speaking that really had to click for me before I could really flesh out who she is. Now I really can't tell where she ends and I begin.

And Angelique, what is Eileen like? How did you connect with the character?

Angelique: Eileen is a very exuberant young woman who charms everyone not only with her looks, but by her natural friendliness. Although she finds New York life quite different from small town Ohio, she keeps her moral values. Remembering the thrill of my recent trip to Chicago has helped me to portray Eileen's excitement in experiencing New York.

What is the relationship like between the sisters?

Angelique: Eileen and Ruth are very different but accept each other as they are. Eileen relies on Ruth for protection but she's also willing to do anything to help Ruth. They have a very strong sisterly bond, that not even New York can break.

Lauren: Yes, Ruth and Eileen have a very strong bond. Ruth is Eileen's mother, confidant, protector, and best friend. It's been really great to find this relationship with Angelique as we've gone through the rehearsal process. We both have brothers, so it's been nice to find such a strong sisterly bond between these characters.

What's been challenging about the roles?

Lauren: Honestly the most challenging thing is the music. It's not particularly difficult music, but I'm a soprano and this is written for a... well... a man really! It sits very low in my range so it's been a challenge to get it to sound right. It's coming together just fine now... even my foray into jazz improvisation is moving right along! You'll see what I mean if you catch the show.

What has the rehearsal process been like?

Lauren: It started off pretty slow, as most of the cast was out on winter break, but now it's crazy crunch time. But despite how hectic it feels, we're right where we should be. This rehearsal process is actually two weeks shorter than a normal process for a musical as big as this, but we've made it work and I think we're gonna be ready and rearing to go!

Angelique: Preparing a show is always hard work, but there have been lots of laughs along the way.

Is there a favorite moment or song in the show for you?

Angelique: One of my favorite songs is "Conversation Piece." It's a lot of fun to portray such an awkward dinner party. It's an unusual scene and I'm excited to do it every time.

Lauren: "Conversation Piece" is deliciously awkward! And "Quiet Girl" is great. For "Quiet Girl" it's less about the song and more about the beautiful dance that Jill, our choreographer, and her husband Doug do in the middle of the song. It makes me cry it's so gorgeous!

Have you done other ICCT shows? Or other shows in the area?

Angelique: I've performed in several other ICCT shows, most recently The Baker's Wife and Camelot and helped with lighting for Camelot and Zombie Prom. I've also been in shows with West & City High Schools, Market St. Theatre, University of Iowa, Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre, David Aiken Touring Productions and New Tuners Theatre in Chicago.

Lauren: This is my debut with ICCT, but not in the area. I've lived in Iowa City my whole life and did numerous performances at West High School during my time there. Since starting at the University of Iowa I've been in a few shows there including a show for the Graduate Director's Showcase, the Iowa New Play Festival, and the mainstage production of Reefer Madness this past fall. Other shows I've done in the area outside of the University are Little Women: the Musical with City Circle Acting Company, and this past summer I was an acting intern for the '09 Riverside Theatre Shakespeare Festival where I pranced around in a bodysuit as a fairy in A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Can you talk a little bit about the other cast members? Who is going to blow the audience away?

Lauren: Everyone in this show is so dedicated and wonderful in their own ways. But if I had to single some people out, I think that Luke Schares, who plays Wreck, is absolutely hilarious. As is his counterpart, Helen, played by Claire Barnhart. They'll probably steal the show!

What has it been like working with director Ben Bentler?

Angelique: Ben has a great vision for this show and is very enthusiastic about bringing it to life. He uses rehearsal time well, and values each of his actors. He's given attention to details to make this production as authentic as possible.

Lauren: Ben and I have known each other for a long time now. This is our fourth show together and the second that he's been my director. I have always enjoyed working with him and this project is no different. His drive, enthusiasm and talent really make working with him an enjoyable and rewarding experience. If anyone knows how to a make great, holistic, theatrical experience... it's Ben Bentler.

Fortunately for us, we have the talented Mr. Ben Bentler with us as well. Ben, tell us how has the rehearsal process gone from your perspective?

Ben: The rehearsal process has been a real challenge. In professional theatre you work in either four or six week rehearsal periods and then open a show. With community theatre you need eight weeks in order to put a show of this size and scope up. Instead, because of our slot, we had only six weeks to put the show together. One of those weeks will be in tech and so in five weeks we have to block, choreograph, and teach music for the entire show. In the end I believe this time restraint has caused people to work harder. These folks have put so much of themselves in the production. I believe it will come out in the final product.

What have you changed from your original vision through that process?

Ben: Originally, I wanted to bring out more drama in the show. Less caricatures of folks. In the end, after realizing how the writing works, it makes far more sense to have the people go more out there. Truth is, this production's style reminds me a lot of I Love Lucy. Quick and witty humor mixed with funny little bits and gimmicks. I grew up watching this... on Nick at Nite, of course...

Right. I didn't think you were old enough to see the original episodes!

Ben: I admit I was in love Lucille Ball. About the time this show was being produced, Lucy was in her heyday. I guess in the end it's the show I wanted it to be all along. Going from a more serious but witty take on the depression to a Lucille Ball antics of two women liberating themselves seems like a drastic change, but truth is, it makes more sense.

Tell me about your actors. Who is going to blow us away?

Ben: We have such a diverse array. A few names come to mind. Tyler Lynch is a high school student and brings a professional level of acting to the stage. Every night, from minute one, Tyler comes in with interesting additions and the absolute perfect timing. He's been a real joy to work with. Same goes of course for my lead Lauren Baker. She and I learn shows through the music. So when she was trying to find Ruth I told her that it's in her voice and once she finds it, she'll become it. She found it alright and it has become who she is now. Angelique Vandorpe brings an effervescent champagne-like quality to the show by her beautiful voice and talents onstage. Luke Schares and Claire Barnhardt will have you in stitches thanks to their fantastic chemistry and natural ability to make people laugh. Luke especially is something straight out of a Looney Tunes cartoon and yet you believe every word out of his mouth. Finally, Brian Quijada will charm his way into your hearts. He's typically played character parts and this one is quite challenging in that it really is a legit role. He's taken it by the horns and made it his and added his special quality to it. I couldn't ask for more. I have to be honest though, and this isn't just to save myself from cast members being upset, this cast is truly strong. Each of them alone will keep you interested and believing that you are really living back in NYC back in the 30's.

Can you talk to me about the technical aspects of the show?

Ben: Michael, Josh, and Catherine, among others, have created a set and environment that will turn the Englert into an intimate space.

Intimate is not a word normally associated with the grand Englert theatre!

Ben: You will walk in and believe you are in Pennsylvania Station from back in the day. Also, Elisabeth and Rachel have gathered enough props to do forty musicals and to this day continue to find more to use. The lighting plan by Jeff Crone will excite you just simply by the use of color and texture and my fantastic sound designer Alex Ruhlin, who is also in the show, will simply blow your mind. I saw his work on Reefer Madness and I knew I had to get him to do this. He works on such a deep level with sound.

Anything else you'd like to tell us about this show?

Ben: This show has been a very difficult piece for me just simply based on the issues embedded in the time frame, financial difficulties, and complexity in the dances. In the end, we have such a devoted and talented group of actors and crew that is will be in my mind one of the best memories I will have of theatre to date.

Thanks, Ben, Angelique and Lauren. Be sure to catch Wonderful Town, which runs February 18-February 21 at the Englert Theatre. For tickets, go here.

No comments: